Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance  

For most, overseas travel is a rewarding experience.  There’s nothing like travel to feed the soul and broaden the mind.  And nothing like the unexpected to put a dampener on your plans. No one plans for things to go wrong, but unfortunately, sometimes they do, either at home before your holiday even starts, or while you are away. Being prepared for such problems is essential, and that’s why travel insurance protection is so important.

We strongly recommend you take out insurance at the time you pay your deposit on your holiday or make any payment that carries penalties for change or cancellation.  From that moment on you have peace of mind that if unforeseen circumstances force you to cancel or change your holiday plans, your money is protected.  There is no increase in the premium as the cancellation clause kicks in from the moment your policy is issued and all other areas of the policy begin from the time you leave home.
We would be happy to quote and assist with your travel insurance needs.  

Why do we use GO Insurance for travel insurance?
Australian Owned, all Go Insurance policies are underwritten by Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s.   Lloyd’s is the world’s specialist insurance and reinsurance market, bringing together an outstanding concentration of underwriting expertise and talent. It is often the first to insure emerging, unusual and complex risks.  Around 80 syndicates are underwriting insurance at Lloyd’s, covering all classes of business. Together they interact with thousands of brokers daily to create insurance solutions for businesses in over 200 countries and territories around the world. Lloyd’s insures the majority of FTSE 100 and Dow Jones industrial average companies.   Lloyd’s enjoys strong financial security supported by excellent ratings. Visit www.lloyd’ for more information.
Email us and we’ll send you a quote based on your specific needs.

Frequently asked questions:

Do you offer medical screening for pre-existing conditions?
Yes. If you suffer from a condition which is not automatically covered under the policy, you can apply for cover by completing a medical screening.   You can do this at the time of obtaining a quotation. Alternatively, you can call one of the GO team on 1300 819 888   The medical screening involves a series of questions about your medical history so that GO understand your condition. Based on your answers, they will let you know if they can provide cover and at what price and terms.

I take prescription medication. Will the policy pay for repeat prescriptions while I am away?
No. The policy only responds to medical costs incurred if you sustain an accidental injury or illness overseas during the period of insurance.  The policy does not respond to the cost of routine treatment or continued medication of a medical condition which existed or was being treated prior to departure.

If I have an accident overseas and need treatment when I get home, will the policy pay for these costs?
No. Travel insurance only covers the period of overseas travel and ceases when you return to your normal country of residence.
There is no cover for medical expenses incurred in Australia under this policy due to relevant Australian legislation.

If I become sick overseas and need to be repatriated, where will I be repatriated to?
If you need to be repatriated and the policy is able to respond, you will be repatriated to your normal country of residence.
If you are travelling on a one-way basis, you will be repatriated to your final destination country (nominated at the time of policy purchase).  If you are travelling on a return basis, you will be repatriated to Australia.

Whilst it will often be possible for treatment to be provided locally, transfer to another region or country may be considered as an alternative to repatriation. Each claim is assessed on a case-by-case basis in consultation with our medical advisers and the treating medical practitioners to ensure that you receive whatever treatment is medically necessary in the circumstances.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?
A pre-existing medical condition is defined in the policy as any physical and/or mental defect, illness, disease, condition or injury that is currently being or has been investigated or treated by a Medical Practitioner or other health professional(including dentist/s and/or allied health practitioners):

  • Within the 90 days prior to policy issue in the case of a Single Trip policy;
  • Within the 90 days prior to policy issue or 30 days prior to booking a Trip in the case of an Annual Multi Trip policy;
  • During the original Period of Insurance if the policy is an extension or replacement of the original policy.
  • of which You are aware or the symptoms of which You are aware;
  • for which You take prescribed medication, have had surgery or consult a Medical Practitioner;
  • of an ongoing or recurring nature or complication attributable to the condition.
    This definition applies to You, Your Travelling Companion, Relative/s and any person on whose state of health the Trip depends. Certain Pre-existing Medical Conditions are automatically covered under this policy. Go travel insurance policies do not cover any pre-existing medical conditions of non-travelling relatives, business partners or any other person on whose state of health your trip depends.

Can I claim for medical expenses incurred in Australia?
No, this policy is designed to cover overseas medical expenses only.   This is because you are entitled to treatment under your existing public healthcare entitlement (Medicare) or private health insurance whilst in Australia.

What does “left unattended in a public place” mean?
If you leave your luggage or any personal effects in a public place where a member of the public can access and remove it from your possession without your knowledge, it may be determined that you have left your possessions unattended in a public place.   This can include circumstances where you have left your luggage with someone you don’t know, left your possessions behind in a taxi or hotel room or placed your belongings in a place where you are unable to prevent them being taken.  It is up to you to ensure you give your belongings adequate care and attention at all times.

Am I covered if I ride a motorbike overseas?
Yes, provided that the motorcycle is hired and has an engine capacity of 125cc or less and you (if you are the driver) hold a current motorcycle license if required by the country you are in. If you are the passenger, the driver must be fully licensed to ride a motorcycle in the country you are in. You must also wear a helmet whilst riding a motorcycle (whether you are the driver or passenger).  It is advisable to check the licensing requirements for the country you intend to visit prior to departing. However, generally if you hold an appropriate license to ride a motorbike at home you can ride a motorbike overseas (as long as you have a current international driver’s license and take adequate care and attention at all times.

Are my personal effects covered for ‘new for old’ replacement?
Travel insurance policies differ from your general domestic contents insurance in this regard.  Most travel insurance policies indemnify you to the same financial position you enjoyed immediately prior to the loss. Property claims are settled on this basis and take into account reasonable allowance for depreciation determined by Go Insurance according to the type, age and condition of the claimed item.

I am going on a business trip and I intend to take my company laptop with me. Is this covered?
The standard leisure policy does not cover business equipment. However, it is possible to insure business equipment by selecting the Business extension at the time of policy purchase.

I’m going to play sport while I’m overseas. Am I covered?
Participation on an amateur or recreational basis in most sports and leisure activities is automatically covered by Go Insurance. This includes participation in school, club or college fixtures and/or competitions.  Unfortunately, there is no cover whatsoever for any sport or leisure activity (or training for) in which you participate in a professional or paid capacity. Not all sports and leisure activities are able to be covered by Go Insurance. For a full list of sports which are covered as standard, please refer to PDS.

How long do I have to notify a claim?
You must advise us of a potential claim as soon as practical within 30 days of your return to Australia, or policy end date whichever is the earlier. However, in the case of admission to hospital or a medical emergency please contact our emergency medical assistance team immediately.

What if I don’t have original receipts for claimed items?
If claiming for loss, theft or damage to any belongings or for the purchase of emergency necessities due to the delay of your luggage, we will ask you to provide original receipts to prove ownership.  Whilst we understand you may not be able to provide receipts for each and every item, responsibility rests with the claimant to provide evidence where you could reasonably expect to have such evidence in your possession. Ask yourself, does the evidence I have provided conclusively prove that I owned this item? If not, your claim may be denied.

How long will it take to process my claim?
This is subject to how quickly you are able to supply Go Insurance with all the required documentation and evidence.
In accordance with the general insurance Code of Practice, your claim will be processed within ten (10) business days of GO receiving all necessary information and documentation.

How is my claim paid?
All claim settlements are paid either by a direct deposit into your nominated bank account or by cheque.
Where claims involve foreign currency, the amounts are converted to Australian Dollars at the date of loss / expense.

Do I pay my overseas medical costs upfront?
Some medical costs like a simple trip to the doctor can be paid by you upfront.  However if you are admitted to hospital or likely to incur medical bills in excess of $2000 it is vital that you contact GO Insurance emergency medical assistance team. They are able to liaise with medical facilities and authorize / guarantee payment for costs that you would not be expected to afford upfront.

What is the Duty of Disclosure?
The Duty of Disclosure is your obligation to be honest and tell us anything known to you and which a reasonable person in the circumstances would include in answer to the questions we ask.

When does my policy start?
Provided you have not deleted the Cancellation cover module at the time of purchasing the policy, cover for cancellation (Section 1) starts immediately after you complete the purchase transaction and we issue a Certificate of Insurance to you.
If you have a Go Plus or Go Elite policy and have retained the Disruption cover module at the time of purchasing the policy, cover for Insolvency of Travel Service Providers (Section 13) also commences immediately after you complete the purchase transaction and we issue a Certificate of Insurance to you.   Cover under all other policy sections you have selected commences when you leave your home or business to commence the trip on the day you specify at the time of purchasing your policy.

Can I extend my policy?
Yes, in most cases you can extend your policy by notifying Go Insurance of your revised travel dates.  If accepted, you may be required to pay additional premium and we will issue a policy endorsement reflecting the change. Please note the maximum duration of any one policy is 365 days and we generally only allow one policy extension after your trip has started.

I am aged over 75, can I purchase Go travel insurance?
Unfortunately, Go travel insurance is only available to Australian residents aged 75 years and under at the time of travel.

Can I get a refund if I return home early?
Go Insurance offers a 14 day money back guarantee if you decide the policy is not right for you.  No refund will be provided if you cancel your policy outside this period. However, we may provide a partial refund in the event you amend your policy prior to your departure.

What is an excess?
This is your financial contribution to the claim. Go Insurance policies have a standard $200 per person excess applicable to most policy sections.  However you do have the option to increase or reduce your excess. This will alter your premium with a higher excess resulting in a premium discount. Conversely if you elect to reduce your excess, this will result in an increase to the premium you pay. Your selected excess will be noted on your Certificate of Insurance.  Generally, the excess will be deducted from your claim. However, in respect of some medical claims we may ask you to pay this amount to the hospital or medical services provider.

Why is Go Insurance so cheap?
Go Insurance is unique as it allows you to create a more tailored cover.   Go Insurance allows you to remove cover modules or add extensions to suit both your needs and budget. This means you can avoid costs associated with unwanted cover. Go Insurance also allows you the option to select a higher excess to secure a premium discount.

Email us and we’ll send you a quote based on your specific needs.


To contact us for reservations or enquiries:

Destination World Travel

PO Box 2040

South Plympton    South Australia   5038      Australia

Phone:  08-8293-6988   Outside of Australia 61-8-8293-6988

Fax:  08-8293-5988        Outside of Australia 61-8-8293-5988